Members of the Cornell community have off-campus access to the library's many restricted resources including thousands of journals, ebooks, and databases. An active NetID and password is required.
Connecting from Off-Campus
When attempting to connect to a library database from off-campus, use the links provided on the library website or catalog. You will be prompted for your NetID and password which will then let the database know that you should have access even when your are off-campus.
Passkey helps you connect to articles and journals from off-campus. After you install Passkey on your browser and you find yourself on a page that has access restrictions, click on the bookmarklet icon and you will be redirected to the Cornell log-in screen. After you log in, you will be automatically led back to the article you were trying to read. Please note, in some cases Passkey will not work for a specific journal that you should have access to. In those cases, search for the journal via the catalog to gain access.
Off Campus Book Delivery
Cornell faculty and students in off-campus programs (such as the Cornell Executive programs and Johnson Cornell Tech program) have book delivery services available to them.
- Executive MBA students can request for a "sneaker service" delivering books during in-person class sessions or via mail. Contact us to arrange for book delivery.
- Cornell Tech Program in NYC students and faculty can select the red Request button from the catalog record of the book they want. On next screen, Request Cornell library to library delivery, select NYC-Tech Campus as the pick up location.
Troubleshooting Problems with Off-Campus Access:
Sometimes a database will give you an error or will not allow access. Here are a few things to look for:
- Try accessing another database. Can you get into one database, but not another?
- Clear your browser’s cache and restart your browser. Does this help?
- Try using a different browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera (Some databases work better in a one browser than others.)
- If your computer is behind a firewall, you may have trouble accessing library databases. One option for accessing from off-campus is to use a secure virtual private network (VPN) provided by CIT. Most firewalls will allow VPN traffic.
If you continue to have trouble accessing an online resource, fill out a Technical Problem Report Form. This form lets you describe the problems you've encountered, and is then sent to Management Library's reference staff. We will help you trouble-shoot your particular situation.